Tuesday, August 14, 2007

My mountain to climb

I haven't wanted to post about this on my blog because then I may actually be held accountable to this. But the time has come. By not acting, by not becoming accountable, I am only hurting myself.

I need to lose weight.

I really need to.

My friends, my family, people who have in the past always been heavier than me, are now getting in shape, running marathons, feeling and looking great. And I keep gaining.

It isn't about vanity. Really, it isn't. It is about quality of life, health, being around to watch my kids grow up. It scares me, but at the same time, I cannot seem to rid myself of these horrible habits I ahve developed. I cannot seem to foster the new habits needed to make this change. I have the knowledge. I know HOW to do this. I know WHAT to eat. I know I need to eat a lot LESS than I do now. I know I need to stop thinking that for some reason it is ok to eat whatever I want, whenever I want. I know I need to get moving, I need to take care of this Body God has given me. I KNOW ALL OF THIS. WHY IS IT SOOOO HARD TO JUST DO IT? Can anyone tell me the answer to that question?

Here it is, for all to see. People I know and love, people I don't know who googled me, people who don't even really like me but come read my boring little blog.

I need to lose 50 lbs. to be healthy.

I started yesterday, on the 5th anniversary of Ed's death. Year five is the year that I start caring for ME. I am going to use this blog to track my progress, my successes and failures. So here goes nothing. I am going to hit the submit button. Anyone care to join me?

Trish

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Trish, I am SOOOO proud of you! You are such an inspiration. Workouts two days in a row?! Holy cow!

Like you said ...
I know that I need to lose weight.
I think I know how to do it.
I need to stop thinking I can eat whatever I want.
I need to get moving.
I want a better quality of life.

So, that's as much as I am ready to do today (although I have been drinking water exclusively for the past 3 or 4 weeks!).

I'll keep you posted on my project, as well.

I love you, hon!
Linda

Trish said...

Thanks Linda! Yes, workouts 5 days a week. I know if I skip in between, I will just stop going. So, it the plan is free weights on M-W-F, and Cardio on T-Th (Saturday too if I feel like really going nuts!)

My cardio is probably only going to be between 20-30 minutes. Stength training days take a little longer.

I was doing 6 days a week for 45-60 minutes a day for over 9 months before Brad.

That is awesome that you are totally just drinking water. I am going to limit to one diet coke a day. Perhaps I will cut that out too at some point.

Would love to hear your progress as well.

Love you,

Trish

Anonymous said...

Good for you. The exercise part is easier to maintain than the healthy eating because it takes less time for your body to become used to the regular activity than it does to retrain your taste buds. I can't remember exactly but I think it is three months for workouts. If you can stick with it that long, it will start to become a habit. Just don't make the mistake of overtraining. Schedule off days.

Good luck!

Trish said...

Thanks Annie. I appreciate the support. Yes, the eating is definately the hard part. I am focising more on the exercise, because it will boost my metabolism, and I tend to eat less, drink more water when working out. (Who wants a big mac after a good workout?)

I had done it for almost a year before Brad and I got serious. I was down 27 lbs. I've gained it back, and a few to boot. So here we go again.

Thanks again!

Trish

Marsha said...

Trish,
You have inspired me!!!!
Marsha