Friday, May 11, 2007

Backbone

So yesterday I fired my DJ.

He was an ass.

While filling out his paperwork, which asked all sorts of odd and intimate details of our lives, I discovered that this man demanded 16' x 8' to set up his "gig" (that is the size of my dining room). In addition are the demands that this space needs to be at the side of the dancefloor. the only wall adjacent to the dance floor is the wall with the french doors that open to the veranda. Sorry! You cannot have that wall. I offered him either of two corners adjacent to the dancefloor that are about 10 feet across. He said, "Not big enough" I told him I did not want an elaborate light show. he said, "Not optional" We are having the reception in a hall that at max holds 180 people, and we will have about 150 people. I do not want a DJ that tkes up half the room. UGH.

Ok, so what was his response? He told me that the light show is not optional. He told me that his configuration was not changeable. He told me that I was paying the reception hall, and they should accomodate his needs. I told him that I was paying him, and he should accomodate MY needs. Needless to say, yesterday I called around and found a DJ that has worked this room many times before, and was even willing to knock $100 off his price. (Since I will not be seeing my $100 deposit from this other jerk). So I booked the new guy, and canned the old guy.

UGH.

Add to that the friend who emailed me that she was going to be down in the area this coming weekend (the weekend before the wedding) and she wanted to get our kids together for a playdate.

Nice you say? Yes, nice, except it was her email that reminded me that I totally forgot to invite her to the wedding. I've known her since my son was in her daycare class 7 years ago. She came and worked for me for the last 3 years watching my kids in my house. We've hung our together. Our kids are really close. And I forgot to invite her.

I feel like a complete &*(&*(^ What do I do? Do I call her and say, "Hey, I forgot to invite you to the wedding. Wanna come? It's in 2 weeks." Or do I let it go?

This wedding stuff is complicated. Trying to keep it small when I have 7 siblings, 26 Aunts and Uncles, and 26 neices and nephews is not easy.

oh, and if anyone reading this is upset they I did not invite you, please don't be. If I invited everyone I love and who is important to me, the guest list would have topped 500 (or 5000 if I invited the board).

Ok, that is my bridal stress of the day. Comments are welcome and appreciated.

Trish

No comments: