Friday, September 7, 2007

Homework Fun

I am the proud mother of three wonderful children. That being said homework x 3 = Insanity! Yes, that is an actual math equation, I do believe. Last night I was helping Clayton with his spelling words. Today was the test, and his teacher creativelysent home spelling tic tac toe. Where instead of just studying the spelling words in the old fashioned boring way, she came up with 12 "fun" ways to spell your words. Here is the trick... all three ways need to be in a row (ie the tic tac toe part!)

Of course I pull out the sheet to discover that the last method of spelling for the row was....

Spell all your words in shaving cream.

So, what's a mom to do? Go to the dollar store and buy a can of shaving cream, why of course! So, I set him up in the bathtub with his shaving cream, and I call the words out. What I did not realize until half way through the list is that you're supposed to spread the cream out, and they write with their finger in the shaving cream... No, I had the little guy acting like a full fledged grafitti artist with his can of shave. Wish I had the camera... it was quite a site. By the end, we both had shaving cream in our hair and he was slipping around in the tub having a blast.

Here is the kicker... the boy who mispelled 6 out of 12 words just 24 hours earlier didn't miss a word in the shaving cream. I hope he does as well on the test with his pencil and paper. Maybe I should suggest they actually take the test in shaving cream next time!

Anyway, it was a really good bonding experience for me and my new son, and I thought I would share.

3 comments:

b said...

so cool! Sounds like a great teacher and a great bonding experience.

Marsha said...

Thanks for the giggles--yes shaving cream in always in the good teacher's bag of tricks
Marsha

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story.

you sound busy, but happy! and fulfilled.

Keep it going,

Huggie
Anja